John Freeman Walls Historical Site & Underground Railroad Museum


859 Puce Road
N0R 1A7

Next Event

No upcoming events
Map Unavailable

At the entrance to the John Freeman Walls Historic Site and Underground Railroad Museum, there’s a historic plaque that reads:

In 1846 John Freeman Walls a fugitive slave from North Carolina built this log cabin on land purchased from the Refugee Home Society. This organization was founded by the abolitionist Henry Bibb, published of the Voice Of The Fugitive, and the famous Josiah Henson. The cabin subsequently served as a terminal of the Underground Railroad and the first meeting place of the Puce Baptist Church. Although many former slaves returned to the United States following the American civil war, Walls and his family  chose to remain in Canada.

The Museum includes a Historic Walkway; the Walls Family Cemetery; the Peace Chapel; the Simcoe Building, a two story log cabin built in 1798; and, the focal point of the site, the Homestead of John Freeman Walls.


Upcoming Events

No events in this location
Skip to content