Marsh Collection Society


80 Richmond Street
N9V 1E9

Next Event

No upcoming events
Map Unavailable

The Marsh Collection Society, situated in downtown Amherstburg, is better known locally as the Marsh Historical Collection.

This organization was founded as a registered, non-profit charitable organization in 1983. It was the brain-child of the late John and Helen Marsh, natives of Amherstburg. Their parents, Arthur and Bessie (Hicks) Marsh, moved from Essex to Amherstburg in 1900 when Arthur became associated with The Amherstburg Echo as part owner and Secretary-Treasurer.  He was later joined in the business by his son and daughter who continued operating the Echo until 1981, a family tradition for over 80 years.

Although the Society was founded in 1983, it was the intent of the family that a facility to house their memorabilia would not open to the public until after their deaths, which occurred in 1986 (Helen) and 1993 (John) respectively.  While John and Helen’s father Arthur W. Marsh was at the helm of The Amherstburg Echo, he had wisely maintained files on historical events in and around Amherstburg and Essex County. This collection, called the “Echo Morgue”, eventually became the centerpiece of what is known today as the Marsh Historical Collection. On October 12th 1994, the Marsh Collection Society was officially opened on Dalhousie Street. The collection has since grown significantly, and has been relocated to 80 Richmond Street.

The Marsh Historical Collection mandate is “to collect, preserve and encourage research into the heritage of Amherstburg and the lower Detroit River district.” The facility contains a large collection of photos, books, genealogical records, land instruments, maps, and reference files relating to the area. The office is open to visitors and researchers wishing to access the collection.

Upcoming Events

No events in this location
Skip to content